A Hong Kong-based artist primarily known as a sculptor and printmaker, Ha Bik Chuen (1925–2009) also had parallel practices: from photographing exhibitions he attended, to collecting materials such as illustrated magazines and artist portraits, and using these to construct book collages. Collectively, this material provides building blocks from which more complex histories of Hong Kong’s art ecology can be constructed.
Asia Art Archive began an initial pilot project to map, assess, and selectively digitise Ha’s archive by invitation of the Ha family in 2013. Made available to a wider audience for the first time, the archive consists of a continuously growing selection of Ha’s collage books, exhibition documentation, and exhibition catalogues.
AAA currently seeks a full-time Archive Assistant to assist with the digitisation, arrangement and description of parts of Ha’s archive.
Archive Assistant (full-time, Hong Kong-based)
- Manage and process the Ha Bik Chuen collection, including listing, describing, and digitising selected materials from the Ha collection
- Handle archival materials, conduct collection assessments, and manage the collection repository
- Oversee and maintain day-to-day operation of the Ha Bik Chuen Project space in terms of digitisation and other equipment pertaining to the project with support from the AAA team
Seeking individuals with:
- A degree in art or art history
- Intellectual curiosity and ability to learn on the job, adapt, and improvise
- Ability to independently manage and execute multiple tasks following a project timeline
- Interest in collection management, remedial collection care and assessment, and digitisation
- Technical knowledge of photography is an advantage
- Strong interpersonal and cross-organisational communication skills
- Strong English and Chinese word processing skills are essential
To apply, please send a cover letter and full CV indicating salary expectations to Sally Lee (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
Personal data collected will be used for recruitment purposes only.