Help us improve the representation of art schools in Asia by joining our Wikipedia Edit-a-thon onsite at AAA.
AAA presents Wikipedia Asian Month: Edit-a-thon on Art Schools, which gathers participants to discuss, create, share, and improve Wikipedia articles about art academies and alternative art schools in Asia. This workshop draws on AAA’s ongoing research initiative and growing body of resources about the role of academic and alternative pedagogy in the development of modern and contemporary art in Asia.
Organised with the assistance of Wikimedia Community User Group Hong Kong and aligned with Wikipedia Asian Month 2021, which addresses the underrepresentation of articles about Asia on Wikipedia, this event is part of an ongoing effort to contribute to discussions about the representation of art and visual culture in Asia on open-source knowledge platforms.
Participants will have access to a wide range of materials—books, magazines, and archival materials—available at AAA Library, which will assist content creation when online resources are scarce.
This workshop is part of an ongoing, long-term partnership between AAA and M+. Over the last three years, we held seven workshops with over 200 participants, who have added or improved over 160 Wikipedia articles on artists and exhibitions in Asia. Click here to browse all the articles that were added, edited, or translated by our participants in previous edit-a-thons from 2018 to 2021.
The event is free and open to the public. Registration is required.
Asia Art Archive and Asia Art Archive in America will join forces for the Wikipedia Asian Month this year. Click here for more info.
Before the Edit-a-thon
- Create a Wikipedia account.
- Enroll as an editor on the event dashboard. (Passcode: artschools)
- Prepare ideas for creating or improving articles on Wikipedia. We will be providing research materials in the form of books, articles, and more on the day, but please feel free to research beforehand.
- Click here to view the online tutorial, “Editing Wikipedia: A guide to improving content on the online encyclopedia.”
On the Day of the Edit-a-thon
There will be a forty-five-minute tutorial at the beginning of the session, led by the AAA team. Wikimedia Community User Group Hong Kong will be there to assist us with technical questions. Please remember to bring your laptop, power cord, and, if you want to prepare beforehand, sources for your chosen article(s). If you are a new participant in our edit-a-thon events, please arrive on time to attend the tutorial session.
Special thanks to Wikimedia Community User Group Hong Kong, WikiWomen Taiwan, and Wikimedia Taiwan for their support and advice.
- Arts Initiative Tokyo, Tokyo
- Central Academy of Fine Arts, Beijing
- China Academy of Art, Hangzhou
- Indonesia Institute of the Arts, Yogyakarta
- Kala Bhavana (Institute of Fine Arts), Santiniketan
- Mimar Sinan Fine Arts University, Istanbul
- Tokyo University of the Arts, Tokyo
- University of Baroda, Faculty of Fine Arts, Baroda
- Vietnam University of Fine Arts, Hanoi