Asia Art Archive presents a Wikipedia Edit-a-thon on women in art in Asia, in collaboration with M+, West Kowloon Cultural District. With the assistance of Wikimedia User Group Hong Kong, the event brings together participants to create and improve articles about women artists and practitioners in Asia on Wikipedia. The main event takes place on Friday, 30 March, at the AAA booth at Art Basel in Hong Kong. A preliminary training tutorial about Wikipedia is scheduled for Saturday, 24 February, at AAA’s offices in Sheung Wan.
The Edit-a-thon helps participants edit Wikipedia to improve its coverage of women and art in Asia. As part of Women Make Art History, AAA’s March 2018 programmes, this event is part of an ongoing effort to contribute to discussions about the representation of women in art and open source knowledge platforms. The collaboration between AAA and M+ shows the commitment of both organisations to address the gender imbalance in their collections and the larger art infrastructure.
Date: 24 February 2018, 2–4pm
Venue: Asia Art Archive A Space, 10/F, Hollywood Centre, 233 Hollywood Road, Sheung Wan
Date: 30 March 2018, 2–6pm
Venue: Booth P7, Art Basel in Hong Kong, Hong Kong Convention & Exhibition Centre, Wan Chai
Asia Art Archive and Asia Art Archive in America join forces for the Wikipedia Edit-a-thon on women in art in Asia. If you are in New York, please join us to improve and create articles at our Brooklyn office on 30 March. Click here for more info.
Venue: Asia Art Archive in America, 43 Remsen Street, Brooklyn, NY 11201
Before the Edit-a-thon
1. At the beginning of each session, there will be a thirty-minute tutorial led by the AAA & M+ team. The Hong Kong Wikimedia User Group will be there to assist us with technical questions.
2. Create a Wikipedia account.
3. Enroll as an editor on the event dashboard. (Passcode: makehistory)
4. Bring ideas for creating or improving articles on Wikipedia. If you are looking for inspirations, you may start with the suggestions compiled by the AAA & M+ team. You can find them on the event dashboard.
5. Choose an article to create, or an existing article to improve or translate. Wikipedia recently made a policy change: New editors cannot create pages. Your account must have been active for over ninety-six hours, and must have made at least ten edits to create Wikipedia articles. If you want to create new articles, please work on a draft and we can help you to publish them.
6. Depending on how much you want to create on the day, you may also wish to do preliminary research on your chosen article and bring a previously written draft to the event.
On the Day of Edit-a-thon
Please bring your laptop, power cord, and, if you want to prepare beforehand, sources for your chosen article/s. AAA and M+ will provide reference books and online resources on-site.
The events are free and open to the public with registration.
Please click here for Art+Feminism’s short instructional videos and PowerPoint presentations to start contributing to Wikipedia; here for "Editing Wikipedia: A guide to improving content on the online encyclopedia"; here for “Illustrating Wikipedia: A guide to contributing content to Wikimedia Commons”; and here to read about the gender bias on Wikipedia.
The Wikipedia Edit-a-thon is part of Women Make Art History, supported by Shane Akeroyd, Wendy Lee & Stephen Li, Virginia & Wellington Yee, Eunei & Ron Lee, Lavina & William Lim, Dee Poon; M+, West Kowloon Cultural District; Department of Fine Arts, The University of Hong Kong
Design Partner: Going Merry Design co.
Media Partners: a.m. post, Art Map, Art Republik
AAA is a Cultural Partner of Art Basel in Hong Kong
Special thanks to Wikimedia User Group Hong Kong, Art+Feminism, Wikimedia Taiwan, and WikiWomen Taiwan for their support and advice.
- Visual artist Nancy Atakan (B. 1946, Virginia. Based in Istanbul)
- Visual artist Cao Yu (B. 1988, Liaoning province. Based in Beijing)
- Visual artist Banu Cennetoğlu (B. 1970, Ankara. Based in Istanbul)
- Filmmaker/visual artist Kiri Dalena (B. 1975, Manila. Based in Manila and Mindanao)
- Visual artist Ipek Duben (B. 1941, Istanbul. Based in Istanbul)
- Visual artist Ayşe Erkmen (B. 1949, Istanbul. Based in Berlin and Istanbul)
- Visual artist Ma Ivy (B. 1973, Hong Kong. Based in Hong Kong)
- Visual artist Aydan Murtezaoglu (B. 1961, Istanbul. Based in Istanbul)
- Visual artist Varsha Nair (B. 1957, Kampala. Based in Bangkok)
- Visual artist Hale Tenger (B. 1960, Izmir. Based in Istanbul)
- Architect Wang Chiu-Hwa (B. 1925, Beijing. Based in Taipei)
- Visual artist Xin Wang (B. 1983, Yichang. Based in Shanghai)
- Visual artist Xing Danwen (B. 1967, Xi'an. Based in Beijing)
- Visual artist Yuan Jai (B. 1941, Chongqing. Based in Taiwan)
- Visual artist Cai Jin (B. 1965, Tunxi. Based in Tianjin)
- Visual artist Irene Chou (B. 1924, Shanghai. D. 2011, Brisbane)
- Cultural theorist Dai Jinhua (B. 1959, Beijing. Based in Beijing)
- Visual artist Yu Hong (B. 1966, Xi’an. Based in Beijing)
- Visual artist Gülsün Karamustafa (B. 1946, Ankara. Based in Istanbul)
- Visual artist Nur Koçak (B. 1941, Istanbul. Based in Istanbul)
- Visual artist Füreya Koral (B. 1912, Büyükada. D. 1997, Istanbul)
- Visual artist Joey Leung Ka-yin (B. 1976, Hong Kong. Based in Hong Kong)
- Visual artist Füsun Onur (B. 1938, Kuzguncuk. Based in Istanbul)
- Visual artist & curator Ellen Pau (B. 1961, Hong Kong. Based in Hong Kong)
- Visual artist Leung Mee Ping (B. 1961, Hong Kong. Based in Hong Kong)
- Visual artist Araya Rasdjarmrearnsook (B. 1957, Trad. Based in Chiang Mai)
- Visual artist Jewyo Rhii (B. 1971, Seoul. Based in Seoul and New York)
- Visual artist Nilima Sheikh (B. 1945, New Delhi. Based in Baroda)
- Visual artist Arpita Singh (B. 1937, Baranagar. Based in Delhi)
- Visual artist Li Shuang (B. 1957, Beijing. Based in Paris)
- Visual artist Fiona Tan (B. 1966, Pekanbaru. Based in Amsterdam and Los Angeles)
- Filmmaker/visual artist Nguyen Trinh Thi (B. 1973, Hanoi. Based in Hanoi)
- Visual artist Lin Tianmiao (B. 1961, Taiyuan. Based in Beijing)
- Visual artist Yin Xiuzhen (B. 1963, Beijing. Based in Beijing)
- Visual artist Kan Xuan (B. 1972, Xuancheng. Based in Beijing and Amsterdam)
- Visual artist Nil Yalter (b. 1938, Cairo. Based in Paris)
- Visual artist Shen Yuan (B. 1969, Xianyou. Based in Paris)
- Visual artist Fahrelnissa Zeid (B. 1901, Istanbul. D. 1991, Amman)